Functional Title & Level: Associate Procurement Officer, NO-B
Type of Contract: Temporary Appointment (3 months)
Duty Station: Port-au-Prince
Posting Period: 20 June-27 June 2022
Job Opening Number: BINUH-TJO-2022-002
The United Nations Secretariat is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance in its staff. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Staff members are subject to the authority of the Secretary-General and to assignment by him or her. In this context, all staff are expected to move periodically to new functions in their careers in accordance with established rules and procedures.
“Fully vaccinated status for COVID-19 or willingness to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 may be required for this position.”
The selected candidate will be expected to commence work on 16 July 2022.
All applicants who consider themselves qualified and meeting the minimum requirements of this Vacancy Announcement (VA), should submit their fully completed and signed P11 via email at email@example.com.
Important: Please pay attention to the instructions on the VA when applying for the VA which will include functional title and the VA number. Incorrect submissions will not be considered. Applicants will be held responsible for misrepresentation/omission of information on their signed P11 applications.
Organizational Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Integrated Office in Haiti (BINUH) was established by Security Council resolution 2476 and is mandated to promote and strengthen political stability and good governance, including the rule of law, preserving and advancing a peaceful and stable environment, supporting an inclusive inter-Haitian national dialogue, and protecting and promoting human rights in Haiti.
This position is located within the United Nations Integrated Office in Haiti (BINUH). The Associate Procurement Officer reports to the Procurement Officer.
Within delegated authority, the Associate Procurement Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
• Plans procurement actions for assigned projects, which typically involve the procurement of a select group of technically complex commodities or services, or for a variety of goods and services of a general nature.
• Reviews and analyzes technical specifications to ensure completeness, accuracy, and competitive qualities, and identifies optional courses of corrective action.
• Assists staff in matters regarding procurement policies and procedures, technical specifications, pricing, and product/service availability, as well as appropriate substitutes or alternative options to reduce costs.
• Develops vendor pre-qualifying criteria, identifies product sources and evaluates vendor performance as regards quality, prices, delivery, equipment, etc.
• Solicits and evaluates bids/proposals/quotations to ensure overall competitiveness, quality, and conformity to specified requirements.
• Compiles and presents procurement data; prepares all relevant supporting documents and recommends approval of the contract or purchase order; may authorize purchases in line with delegated authority, and, in cases where the amount exceeds authorized signature authority, prepares submissions to the Contracts Committee for review and subsequent approval by the authorized official.
• Coordinates timely delivery of goods and services.
• Participates in the market and supplier research.
• Prepares a variety of reports, correspondence, and documents (e.g., purchase orders, contracts, and amendments) on procurement-related matters.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Professionalism: Shows pride in work and achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
• Client and Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
• Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required.; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, public administration, commerce, engineering, law or a related field. A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. Recognized qualification in procurement and contracting such as Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply (CIPS) level 4is desirable.
A minimum of two (2) years of progressively responsible experience in procurement, contract management, administration or related area.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in oral and written English and French is required. Fluency of Haitian Creole is desirable.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.