Functional Title & Level:
Associate Information Systems Officer, NO-B
17 March 2023 - 31 March 2023
Job Opening Number:
The United Nations Secretariat is committed to achieving 50/50 gender balance in its staff. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Fully vaccinated status for COVID-19 or willingness to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 may be required for this position.
Candidates who are successful in the assessment process will be placed on the roster. The selected candidate will be expected to commence work on 01 May 2023. Candidates who are not successful during the assessment will not be placed on the roster. They will be notified at a later stage. Placement on the roster does not guarantee selection.
Extension of the appointment is subject to extension of the mandate and/or the availability of the funds.
All applicants who consider themselves qualified and meeting the minimum requirements of this Vacancy Announcement (VA), should submit their fully completed and signed P11 via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Important: Please pay attention to the instructions on the VA when applying for the VA which will include functional title and the VA number. Incorrect submissions will not be considered. Applicants will be held responsible for misrepresentation/omission of information on their signed P11 applications.
Organizational Setting and Reporting
The Associate Information Systems Officer assists in the design, development and installation of information systems; Undertakes analysis of well-defined modules within the system, develops enhancements and new features to existing systems; Writes and develops programs to interface with existing systems; Ensures data security and integrity. She/he assists in identifying appropriate human and technical resources to complete the project; assists in assuring that deviations from project schedule are addressed and communicated; participates with senior staff in assessing and testing new technology
Within delegated authority, the Associate Information Systems Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
• Participates in preparing user requirements and other technical specifications.
• Assists in the design, development and installation of information systems.
• Undertakes analysis of well-defined modules within the system, develops enhancements and new features to existing systems; may design and implement small, stand-alone systems as needed (e.g. to meet individual user requirements).
• Undertakes rigorous testing and proving of applications software.
• Maintains assigned portions of systems, providing operational support for system’s applications, analysing and implementing system changes/upgrades, etc.
• Participates in developing and maintaining Information Systems project plans, schedules, and budgets. Assists in identifying appropriate human and technical resources to complete the project; assists in assuring that deviations from project schedule are addressed and communicated; assists in developing timely project status reports, monitoring project risk factors, escalating project issues, and providing Quality Assurance for all project deliverables.
• Writes and develops programs to interface with existing systems.
• Ensures data security and integrity.
• Participates in developing disaster recovery plans.
• Prepares, updates and maintains system’s documentation and related technical/procedural manuals.
• Assists in procurements, including conducting needs assessments and benchmarks, preparing technical specifications and evaluation criteria.
• Assists in the set-up and monitoring of software performance measures.
• Participates in Helpdesk support services.
• Participates in facilitating communications between the FTS (Field Technology Section) and its clients for good client relations and be responsible for small to medium client accounts.
• Assists in the development of Service Level Agreements (SLAs) between the client and FTS, for either specific IT services or general technology support, including any charge back mechanisms.
• Advises users on the most suitable hardware and software for different tasks; maintains and enhances software.
• Drafts training materials and conducts training sessions and demonstrations of systems for users.
• Participates with senior staff in assessing and testing new technology.
• Performs ad hoc duties as required.
• May provide guidance to new/junior staff.
Professionalism: Shows pride in work and achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Client and Orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required.; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently.
Advanced university degree in Computer Science, Information Systems Management, Communication Technology, or a related field is required. A first level university degree with two additional years of relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) certification is required.
Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP) certification is required.
A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in planning, design, development, implementation and maintenance of computer information systems or related area is required.
English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in oral and written English and French is required.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.